This is why you should never plug space heaters into power strips

This is why you should never plug space heaters into power strips

They're not the same as surge protectors, posing huge safety risk

Updated: 10:24 AM EST Nov 21, 2020

An Oregon fire department's warning from 2017 is a good reminder about a scary winter safety risk that can put your family in danger. Umatilla Country Fire District #1 shared an alarming photo of a melted and charred power strip on Facebook showing the damage an overloaded outlet can cause. "These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow," the post explained.The danger lies in a common misconception: Most people don't realize a power strip doesn't limit or block surges like a surge protector does, explains Rachel Rothman, chief technologist at the Good Housekeeping…

Read more
  • 0