After accidentally swallowing a wire bristle, man warns others about the dangers of grill brushes

This isn't the first time there have been warnings about cleaning your grill with a wire brush, but one man's viral Facebook post serves as yet another scary reminder to replace yours ASAP, before it does some serious damage to you or your family.

"On Sunday evening upon eating a hamburger from our grill I felt something abnormal in my burger," Chester Poole, 63, of Nova Scotia captioned a close-up of his throat he posted to Facebook in 2017. "I tried to spit it out and tried to cough up anything that may be there. Upon eating my second bite I felt a needle like pain in my throat."

After spending five hours in outpatient care, X-rays confirmed what Poole could feel: There was a foreign object stuck in his throat — what turned out to be an inch-long stray wire from Poole's barbecue grill brush. Poole was sent home for the night and referred to another hospital for surgery on Monday.

"Our brush is in good shape and I hardly …

Read more
  • 0

‘Horrific’ dry ice accident leaves woman dead, another in critical condition

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. —

Authorities in Washington state say a woman is dead after a strange dry ice incident.

KOMO reports police found the body of a suffocated elderly woman in a vehicle near Tacoma Friday.

According to the Pierce County Sheriff's Department, an ice cream salesman kept coolers of dry ice in the back of his car. Investigators said his wife borrowed the car to take his mother home.

“His mom and his wife got in the vehicle to give his mother a ride home. Somehow or another, the fumes escaped from the coolers,” said Det. Ed Troyer, with the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.

The man called 911 hours later when he found both women and the vehicle on the side of the road. The News Tribune reports the man broke the rear driver’s side window with a rock, opened the car, pulled his wife out and called 911.

The medical examiner said the man's 77-year-old mother likely died of asphyxiation caused by the dry ice, whi…

Read more
  • 0

Police fatally shoot armed resident who killed intruder during home invasion

AURORA, Colo. —

A man who fatally shot an intruder in his suburban Denver home early Monday was killed by responding officers who saw him holding a weapon, investigators said.

Police received multiple calls about a break-in at the home at about 1:30 a.m., and when officers arrived, they heard gunshots inside, The Aurora Sentinel reported.

Aurora police, who described the scene in a statement as “very chaotic and violent,” said they encountered an armed man and fatally shot him. That man turned out to be the person who lived in the home. A second man, the suspected intruder, was found dead during a search.

A child also suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries at the hands of the intruder, but police did not release additional details, citing an ongoing investigation.

“This is a very heartbreaking and tragic situation for everyone involved,” police Chief Nick Metz said. “We are providing assistance through our victim advocate…

Read more
  • 0

Dreary Monday weather ahead

Dreary Monday weather ahead

Updated: 5:17 AM EDT Jul 30, 2018

Hide Transcript Show Transcript

WEBVTT THE ATLANTIC AND WE GET THE CHANCE FOR SHOWERS EARLY IN THE MORNING. WE GET THE SEA BREEZE LATER. YOU ARE WAKING UP AND HEADING OUT THE DOOR AROUND 8:00. MOST OF US ARE STAINED OR RIGHT. WE HAVE SHOWERS AND STORMS STARTING TO POP UP TO THE AFTERNOON. SOME OF THEM COULD BE ON THE COASTLINE. PUSH INLAND THROUGH THE REST OF THE AFTERNOON. WE WILL STOP HERE AT 3:00. IT LOOKS LIKE THE TREASURE COAST WILL GET HIT HARD. TAKE A LOOK AS YOU GET INTO THE EVENING, WE KEEP THAT SOUTH EASTERLY WIND. THAT IS WHY WE ARE SEEING SHOWERS BECOMING ISOLATED. TODAY WE HAVE A 60% CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND STORMS. TAPERING DOWN TO 40%. DROPPING BACK COUNTY 40% ON THURSDAY. 87 FOR A HIGH TODAY. SUN AND CL…

Read more
  • 0

Chaotic Northern California wildfire leads to 5 deaths

REDDING, California —

Two children and their great-grandmother who went missing as they were ordered to evacuate Redding were found dead, the family confirmed.

James Roberts, 5, Emily Roberts, 4, and Melody Bledsoe, 70, were caught in the wildfire's path when they were about to evacuate their home, NBC Bay Area reported. Family members had been desperately looking for them since flames leveled the home where they were stranded on Thursday.

"My babies are dead," Sherry Bledsoe said through tears after she and family members met with Shasta County sheriff's deputies.

The wildfire, named the Carr Fire, killed a Redding firefighter and a contracted bulldozer operator as it tripled in size overnight to 80,906 acres and remains just 5 percent contained, according to Cal Fire numbers released Saturday morning.

"Honey, you should come home quick. The fire's getting close," Melody Bledsoe told her husband over the phone Thursday night when s…

Read more
  • 0